V&S is able to offer legal services and advice on various areas of English and Italian law. Details of our expertise can be found by clicking on the links below. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
Civil and Commercial Litigation, Debt Recovery and Insolvency
Our lawyers specialise in commercial litigation and dispute resolution, providing clients with commercially viable and efficient assistance during turbulent times. Our understanding and pragmatic approach enables us to solve conflicts with minimum inconvenience to all those involved.
We have vast experience in disputes concerning:
- Domestic and international commercial agreements
- Copyright, patent and other intellectual property disputes
- Partnerships and limited liability companies
- Small claims
- Unfair terms in consumer contracts
In addition, the team also covers debt recovery and insolvency, working with businesses and private individuals in relation to:
- Statutory demands
- County Court proceedings
- Winding-up petitions
- Defended actions
- Retention of title clauses and other forms of security
- Directors' duties and disqualification
- Company voluntary arrangements
- Company re-structuring and re-financing
- Creditors' rights on insolvency
- Personal bankruptcy
- Individual voluntary arrangements (IVA)
Commercial contracts and activities are an integral part of any business and the ever growing legal requirements involved can often seem onerous. We have the understanding and knowledge that enables us to provide focused and efficient expert legal advice, tailoring our services to your particular needs and consequently adding value to your business.
We regularly advise commercial entities from start-up businesses to small and medium enterprises and large corporations throughout the UK and Italy as well as internationally.
Our solicitors assist our clients with a wide range of services including setting up of businesses (both under UK and Italian jurisdictions), drafting terms and conditions of business, negotiating and preparing commercial contracts, advising on the risks connected to the contractual solutions adopted, identifying potential claims that may arise and resolving disputes.
The industry sectors we represent comprise, but are not limited to, manufacturing, entertainment, marketing, media, IT and telecoms, pharmaceutical, transport and horeca (hotel, restaurant and catering).
The types of agreements we deal on a daily basis are the following:
- Agency and distribution agreements
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and supply agreements
- Sale and purchase agreements
- Marketing and sponsorship agreements
- Purchase of debts and factoring
The issues we regularly assist with are the following:
- Data protection and privacy issues
- Enforceability of contracts
- Contractual performance and assessment of complex issues potentially connected to the interpretation of clauses and the agreements as a whole (including the patent risks imposed by certain contracts)
- Application of international conventions to cross-border/international agreements
- Legal advice on administration of contracts, claims detection, including delay and defects in deliverables, claims negotiation, strategy and managing disputes
- Regulatory compliance and corporate compliance issues, trade practices, intellectual property rights and industrial relations
Company and Corporate
We act for clients in general company and corporate related matters.
Our lawyers possess the requisite skill set to assist clients in successfully addressing complex legal issues, whilst remaining aware of the need to maintain a practical and commercial approach.
We provide our clients with invaluable expertise across a wide range of scenarios from setting-up private limited companies and partnerships, to drafting shareholder and partnership agreements as well as advising on directors’ and trustees’ responsibilities and corporate governance.
We also assist our clients in purchasing businesses and merger transactions.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Purchase and sale of private limited companies
- Setting up joint venture entities and group company structures
- Negotiation of bank guarantees as collateral in take-over transactions
- Due diligence
Employment law affects the legal position of both individuals as employees and businesses as employers and is one of the fastest evolving legal areas. Its awareness is crucial as it can enable businesses to implement correct procedures from the outset and allow employees to know what their rights are during their employment and thereafter.
We advise and negotiate on behalf of companies, partnerships, LLPs and individuals in the UK and in Italy with respect to employment contracts, HR policies adopted by employers, employee rights, severance packages, terminations and post termination issues such as confidentiality clauses and restrictive covenants.
We also act before Employment Tribunals on many matters arising out of employment law including the following:
- Standard contracts of employment
- Directors service contracts
- Unfair and wrongful dismissal
- Compromise agreements
- Sex and racial discrimination
- Disability Discrimination Act
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures and their implications in respect of dismissal
EU, Competition, Regulation and Trade
Companies and individuals are increasingly being exposed to UK and European competition law concerns when carrying out their business activities. The complex legislation surrounding this area impacts many aspects of the commercial world and if infringed, the financial and reputational repercussions are high. Our solicitors have the legal, economic and regulatory experience to help you maximise your position in the market whilst minimising your potential legal risks in this area.
At V&S, our aim is to anticipate the legal predicaments prior to their occurrence and assist you overcome the hurdles as and when they arise. We offer clear and concise legal guidance and commercial solutions whether you require a competition compliant framework for your business, advice on clauses in commercial agreements or representation against a non-compliant competitor or a competition authority.
We provide responsive advice to companies and individuals in connection to various aspects of domestic and EU competition law, such as:
- Competition rules and commercial agreements
- Behavioural investigations (from abuse of market dominance to cartel investigations)
- Leniency applications
- Merger clearance
- Regulatory matters
We also have the ability to exchange expertise with other firms outside the UK (particularly Italy) if our clients’ requirements involve multi-jurisdictional work.Back to top ^
Although they are intangible assets, intellectual property rights are indispensable as they are often one of the cornerstones of a business. We advise small and medium size businesses in various sectors on intellectual property law, whether they are seeking to create, safeguard, utilise or enforce their creative rights.
Our services cover all matters in this field from applications for registration and establishing rights through to litigation in asserting and defending those legal rights.
In particular we can advise on:
- Applications in multiple jurisdictions
- Prospects of success in infringement proceedings
- Meeting opposition proceedings in Trade Mark Registries
- Trade mark licenses
- Protecting business, trade and brand reputation
- Addressing copyright ownership in commercial contracts
- Breaches of licensed use
- Copyright licenses for special projects and joint ventures
- Publishing contracts
- Legal advice on infringements of design rights